FEMA Assistance From Winter Storm Damage

If you live in Red River parish and suffered damage from the winter ice and snow storm, you may be eligible for assistance with recovery efforts.  Here are the details from FEMA.

In addition to Red River, eligible parishes are:

Avoyelles, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, DeSoto, East Baton Rouge, Franklin, Grant, LaSalle, Madison, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Richland, Sabine, Webster, West Carroll, and Winn.

If you have homeowners or renter’s insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If your policy does not cover all your damage expenses, you may then be eligible for federal assistance.

The fastest and easiest way to apply is by visiting disasterassistance.gov/.

If it is not possible to register online, call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines operate from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service.

When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:

▪ A current phone number where you can be contacted;
▪ Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying; ▪ Your Social Security number, if available;
▪ A general list of damage and losses; and
▪ If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name

If it is safe to do so, start cleaning up now. Take photos to document damage and begin cleanup and repairs to prevent further damage. Remember to keep receipts from all purchases related to the cleanup and repair.

Disaster assistance may include financial help with temporary lodging and home repairs along with other programs to assist families recover from the effects of the event.

U.S. Small Business Administration low-interest disaster loans are available for homeowners, renters, businesses of any size and nonprofits.

▪ For small businesses, those engaged in aquaculture and most nonprofits, up to $2 million is available for working capital needs even if there was no property damage, with a $2 million maximum loan for any combination of property damage and working capital needs.

▪ For homeowners: up to $200,000 is available to repair or replace their primary residence. For homeowners and renters: up to $40,000 to replace personal property, including vehicles.

Businesses and residents can apply online at sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance. For questions and assistance completing an application, call 800-659-2955 or email FOCWAssistance@sba.gov.

For the latest information on Louisiana winter storms, visit Louisiana Severe Winter Storms (DR-4590-LA) | FEMA.gov. Follow the FEMA Region 6 Twitter account at twitter.com/FEMARegion6.