The first Heart Program held in Red River Parish is being termed a success by the MLK Health Center. The event was Tuesday of this week in the parking lot behind Christus Coushatta Health Care Center.
Spokesperson Jordan Ring told The Journal that there were many health screenings provided including mammograms, PSA screening, HIV tests, and many participants were given assessments on their health risks.
There were prize giveaways throughout the afternoon program and many organizations partnered with MLK Health Center to offer nutrition and medical information to participants.
Here is the breakdown of the event from Jordan Ring of the MLK Health Center and Pharmacy:
• Roughly 75 people in attendance.
• Also attending: Representative Terry Brown; Mr. Matt Howerton from Congressman Mike Johnson’s office; Mayor Johnny Cox; Jessie Davis, Red River Police Jury; Ms. Allison Hughes, Superintendent Red River Parish Schools; Dr. Bruce Wilson from United Way; Dr. Chris Ciocchetti, President, MLK Board of Directors.
• Health Services Program partners attending: Shreveport Green; Partners in Wellness/Feist Weiler Cancer Center; St. Luke’s Episcopal Mobile Medical Program; the Philadelphia Center; CHRISTUS Coushatta Health Care Center & Red River Parish Health Unit.
• Food was provided by Matt Huddleston owner of Hudd’s Sports Grill. Mr. Huddleston is also a member of the Red River Parish School Board.
• Feedback/comments: Nonnie from KJVC Radio in Mansfield was onsite to provide a live radio remote. While she was onsite she mentioned to Janet that she needed to have a mammogram, but didn’t want to take time away from other participants. Janet told her she needed to go “get on the van”, because the services are for everyone who needs them. Nonnie had a mammogram herself. It was long overdue.
• 27 participants received health risk assessments – results (15 – elevated blood pressure; 4 – diabetics; 1 – pre-diabetes; 3 – high cholesterol) [these numbers will not add up to 27, because some participants had some normal and some abnormal results] • BMI: 7/normal; 6/overweight; 12/obese
• 11 participants received mammograms completed onsite; 1 participant was scheduled at CHRISTUS Coushatta Health Care Center.
• 5 participants received PSA screenings
• 4 participants received HIV tests
3 participants signed up for ongoing health coaching & programming.