As the beginning of the school year quickly approaches, Red River Parish Sheriff Glen Edwards wants to remind parents and drivers of ways to help keep our children safe.
Tips for Drivers:
- Watch for children loading and exiting school buses before and after school.
- When meeting a school bus with its stop signs displayed, always stop even if the roadway is divided by a turn lane.
- Never pass a school bus that is slowing or has stopped to unload children.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car. Never text and drive!
- While driving on school campuses, proceed slowly and always be on the lookout for children.
- Obey the speed limit and discontinue the use of your cell phone while in an active school zone.
Tips for Parents:
- If walking to school, make sure your child walks with a companion, follows a route you have planned, and doesn’t talk to or accept rides from strangers.
- When preparing to get on the bus, instruct your child to stay out of the street, watch for vehicles, and only approach the bus after it has stopped.
- While on the bus, remind your child to stay seated at all times, to keep his or her hands and head inside the bus, and to obey the instructions of the bus driver.
- When exiting the bus, children should first make sure the bus comes to a complete stop, use the handrail to avoid falls, and cross the street at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Instruct your child to never bend down in front of the bus for any reason such as to tie his or her shoestrings.
- Verify that your child knows who to contact and how to contact them in the case of an emergency.