Bulldogs Season Ends at Rosepine

By Christy Suggs

The Red River Bulldogs traveled to Rosepine to take on the Eagles in the 2nd Round of 2A football Playoffs.  Rosepine took first possession and easily scored in the first few minutes. This would set the tone for the 1st half of the game. Red River was unable to score any points in the 2 quarters. Rosepine capitalized on this and put up 21 points going into the half. 

The Bulldogs did not let the first half be the end of the story. They came out with a vengeance fighting for the season not to end. The Dawgs scored off a Quarterback run by Tre Smith from Rosepine’s 5 yard line.  Ryder Hogan kicked in the Point after Touchdown. The Bulldog defense came out ready too, getting a sack on third down forcing the Eagles to punt. On a 38 yard pass to Antron Williams the bulldogs put another touchdown on the board and Ryder Hogan topped it off with a PAT. This made the score RR 14- Rosepine 21.  On the following kickoff, the Bulldog special teams unit forced a fumble on Rosepine’s 33 yard.  The Dawgs would not let this opportunity go by and score off a 13 yard run by QB Tre Smith. (RR 21-Rosepine 21). The third quarter ended tied. 

The Eagles scored off a 10 yard run early in the 4th quarter (RR 21-Rosepine 28).  But the Dawgs would not let that stop them. Red River replied with a touchdown from Stanley Maxie on the next drive once again tying the score at 28. On fourth down, the Eagles tried to be tricky with a fake punt but were unsuccessful and gave the ball to the Bulldogs at midfield. Red River took the ball with time winding down.  The Dawgs would have one last play before the game would go into overtime. Tre Smith passed the ball to Stanley Maxie who would run about 12 yards before lateraling it forward to D’Evin McDonald who ran it in. The touchdown was called back and the quarter ended.

The Dawgs started on Defense in overtime. The Eagle put up the first touchdown and PAT. Red River would not go quietly into the night. On a fourth down effort, Tre Smith threw a 5 yard pass to D’Evin McDonald for a touchdown. Ryder Hogan kept us in the game with a PAT that forced a double overtime . The Dawgs got the ball first in the second overtime, scoring on a pass to Stanley Maxie and Hogan with the PAT.  The Eagles would score on their turn to make the score 42-41 Red River leading by 1. Instead of going for 1 point, the Eagles decided to go for a 2 point conversion. This would either end the Eagles season or they would be moving on to the third round. As the ball was snapped the whole place was quiet. The Quarterback would take the ball to the left side, putting it inside and barely making it across the line, making the score 43-42.

From Head Coach Jeff Harper:

I’m proud of our team and coaches. Friday night was painful because we didn’t accomplish what we set out to do at the beginning of the season. I’m heartbroken for our seniors who played their last high school game for Red River.

I’m proud of how they responded to adversity. We played one of the worst halves of football this season. We responded well in the second half by scoring 21 consecutive points to tie the game before heading into the fourth quarter.

As coaches that’s what we want from our guys. We didn’t quit, we responded. When things were against them they kept moving forward.

Late in the fourth quarter we had the ball, a timeout, and the opportunity to win the game in regulation. That’s all we can ask for from our team. We had a chance to win the game. I’m proud of our team and grateful to everyone who supported us this year.

Thanks to Quality Ford for the game photo.

To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE