With the Red River Parish Fair beginning on October 2nd, Sheriff Edwards would like to share the following tips to help keep your family safe while enjoying the festivities:
* Keep your children in sight and teach them to stay close to you, especially in large crowds.
* Talk to your children about what being lost means and what to do if they become lost.
* Should your child get lost, don’t look for them alone. Immediately notify law enforcement by contacting an officer or deputy at the fairgrounds or by calling the Red River Parish Sheriff’s Office (RRPSO) at 932-4221.
* Have your children carry or wear emergency information that tells how to reach you. Include phone numbers, emergency contacts, important medical information, and anything else you think is important.
* Dress kids in bright colors to make them easier to spot.
* Use your phone to take a photo of each child before leaving home. This will ensure that you have a current photo and will provide a record of exactly what they are wearing.
* Teach your child that it is okay to say NO and GET AWAY from any person or situation making them feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused.
* Pay attention to the weather forecast and prepare appropriately.
* Know where the first aid area is located should you need to access it quickly.
* When riding carnival rides, follow the safety rules and instructions of the carnival workers.
* When attending the parade, keep children a safe distance from moving vehicles and floats. Allow your children to eat only factory-wrapped treats.
Fair week is always an exciting time for the children and families of our community. Sheriff Edwards and RRPSO deputies look forward to seeing you all at the fairgrounds and will be present to help ensure that everyone has a safe and fun week!