The DeSoto Parish Police Jury Office of Community Services is announcing the availability of funds dedicated to assist eligible low-income households in Red River Parish. The Journal asked Jo Lynn Sims, the DeSoto Parish Police Jury/OCS Program Coordinator/Office Specialist, when is the best time to sign up for these programs? “Anytime is really the best time to sign up.” Sims added, “Of course summer is one of the best times because the electric bills are high for about 4 months. This is very hard on our elderly residents that are on a fixed income. We assist with electric and or gas bills. Therefore, anytime of year would help the customer. We currently have 104 household enrolled in the Liheap program.”
“This is a program through LHC in Baton Rouge that assists households with electric and gas expenses. These funds are not parish funds. These are state funds.” Sims added, “Our agency assists 4 parishes with Liheap and 10 parishes with Weatherization. Most agencies assist more than one parish.”
An eligible household is one whose total income is at or below the levels listed in the table below and who have not received a previous benefit within the past six months. Applicants MUST provide, at a minimum, the following documentation at the time the application is taken:
(1) Copies of each household member’s social security cards
(2) Proof of 2018 income of all household members. If you are employed this means your last four consecutive check stubs.
(3) A copy of an energy bill (must be within the last 6 months)
(4) A current LA ID or drivers license for every household member 18 and over. You may bring a copy of the ID.
(5) Two forms of Residency-Meaning two items that have cleared the postal service in the head of household’s name with the same physical address as the utility bill.
(6) Anyone that rents must provide their lease agreement showing utility allowances and reimbursements. If it is determined additional documentation is required, the applicant will be notified at the time of application. Households reporting Zero Income must provide additional documentation. All information provided is subject to verification. Intentional misrepresentation of information may result in criminal prosecution of the applicant and anyone assisting in the misrepresentation.
If you would like more information, or to apply, please call 318-872-0880 or 1-800-872-0889.