The Red River Parish Fair and Rodeo opens for a one week run on Tuesday. Entries in the exhibit building can be brought in on Monday. Also booth setup is Monday.
The Johnson Brothers Midway opens Tuesday at 6:00 pm and will be open through Saturday. Tuesday and Thursday are armband nights. Armbands may be purchased at a local fried chicken restaurant.
Wednesday night is 4-H night at the fair. 4-H’ers may purchase discount ride tickets at the midway booth.
This year’s rodeo is produced by two companies. Friday night J2 Rodeo Company will produce the show. On Saturday night the show will be produced by Champion Rodeo Company.
With the Red River Parish Fair beginning on October 3rd, Sheriff Edwards would like to share the following tips to help keep your family safe while enjoying the festivities:
- Keep your children in sight and teach them to stay close to you. It is easy to become separated in large crowds.
- Talk to your children about what being lost means and instruct them in what to do if they become lost.
- Should your child get lost, don’t look for them alone. Immediately notify law enforcement by contacting an officer or deputy at the fairgrounds or by calling the Red River Parish Sheriff’s Office (RRPSO) at 932-4221.
- Have your children carry or wear emergency information that tells how to reach you. Include phone numbers, emergency contacts, important medical information, and anything else you think is important.
- Dress kids in bright colors to make them easier to spot.
- Use your phone to take a photo of each child before leaving home. This will ensure that you have a current photo and will provide a record of exactly what they are wearing.
- Teach your child that it is okay to say NO and GET AWAY from any person or situation making them feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused. Instruct them to tell a trusted adult if anything happens that makes them feel this way.
- Pay attention to the weather forecast and prepare appropriately. On hot days, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Know where the first aid area is located should you need to access it quickly.
- When riding carnival rides, follow the safety rules and instructions of the carnival workers.
- When attending the parade, keep children a safe distance from moving vehicles and floats. Allow your children to eat only factory-wrapped treats.
Fair week is always an exciting time for the children and families of our community. Sheriff Edwards and RRPSO deputies look forward to seeing you all at the fairgrounds and will be present to help ensure that all have a fun and safe week!