A natural gas leak interrupted classes at Red River High on Thursday. The high school building had to be evacuated until the leak was found and fixed. High school students spent more than half of the day in the gym.
The school posted:
At approximately 10:50am today (October 25th) staff and faculty reported the smell of gas in the main building of Red River High School. Administrators and Sheriff’s Resource Officer searched for source and contacted the Fire Department.
When the Fire Department arrived we evacuated the main building to the gym so the Fire Department could begin a search of the building. Students stayed safely in the gym and then went to lunch. Classes resumed for our Springville Vocational Classes and our classes in the annex building at 12:20pm.
We contacted the gas company and cut the gas off until it could be inspected. Professional crews worked and checked every area of the main campus and found no leaks. They returned service to the main building at 6:30pm.
Students were never in any harm and school will resume as normal tomorrow, just in time for our Homecoming Festivities.
Principal JC Dickey said, “I would like to thank the Red River Fire Department, Sheriff Office and my faculty and staff for doing an awesome job today. I would also like to thank my students for performing so well under these circumstances. Glad this all turned out so well.”